Your First Treatment
Preparing for your treatment
• Eat a light breakfast or lunch before your treatment.
• Take all prescription medications as usual, unless instructed otherwise.
• Remember to take any prescribed pre-treatment medications such as steroids or
• Treatment times will vary with different chemotherapies. Your nurse will tell you how
long your treatment should take.
• Your nurse will discuss with you your planned chemotherapy and provide a folder of
information on specific chemotherapy drugs, possible side effects and how to
manage side effects.
• Have someone drive you to your first treatment, as some of the medications given
with chemotherapy can make you drowsy.
• You are welcome to have 1 adult visitor sit with you while receiving your treatment.
• Write down and bring with you any questions or concerns.
• Nursing staff will be available throughout your treatment to answer any questions or
address any concerns you or your family may have.
• For your comfort the following items will be available:
- Snacks, Soft Drinks and Juices
- Books for reading, puzzle books and educational material
- WiFi Access